29.5.12

all the better to see you with

I am now a spectacles wearing person.


It appears (and clearly now!) that I have an optical astigmatism - which is actually a kind of interesting optical aberration.  The eye has two different focal points on two planes - horizontal and vertical.  Basically, one of those planes doesn't quite cut the mustard so everything appears not quite as sharp as it should.  

The crazy thing - I've been living with this my whole life and haven't realised how sharp the world should be!  Up to now it hasn't really affected me at all, until I started being aware of the strain after a long day at the bench.

While I don't have to wear them permanently, they certainly do help in the studio, and I must admit I have had a hankering for another accessory.

Would love to get my hands on some of these somewhat slightly impractical but very speccy spectacles...

Ancient Chinese
Tortoise shell and silver, 1823

Indian Sandalwood, 17th century

And this mirror...


1 comment:

  1. The pictures of spectacles (tortoise shell and silver shagreen) are unattributed and have been taken from my website without permission in breach of copyright law.

    ReplyDelete